The Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund (CTPF) is pleased to offer health insurance benefits to retirees, survivors, and their eligible dependents. Learn more about eligibility requirements, the enrollment process, available plans, and more below, or download the Health Insurance Handbook for complete health insurance information.
Health Insurance Eligibility
To qualify for CTPF health insurance, the retiree’s final teaching service must have been with Chicago Public/Charter Schools. Retirees, survivors, and their dependents may initially enroll in a CTPF plan once in a lifetime, unless they experience a qualifying event. Qualifying events may include:
- Change in permanent address that affects availability of an HMO or Medicare Advantage plan
- Marriage/civil union or divorce/dissolution
- Birth, adoption, or legal guardianship
- Termination of a Primary Care Physician for HMO plan enrollees
- Become eligible for Medicare
Health Plan Options
The current health insurance plans offered by CTPF are:
- UnitedHealthcare AARP Medicare Supplement Plan F with Express Scripts Medicare®
- UnitedHealthcare Group Medicare Advantage PPO with Express Scripts Medicare®
- Humana Group Medicare HMO
Initial Enrollment Period
Retirees, survivors, and their dependents may initially enroll in CTPF health insurance coverage when one of the following events occur:
- Within 30 days after COBRA continuation coverage under the Board of Education or Charter School active employee group health program ends, unless coverage is cancelled due to non-payment of premium
- Within 30 days of the effective date of pension/survivor benefits
- During the annual Open Enrollment Period
- Within 30 days of first becoming eligible for Medicare
- When coverage is cancelled by a former group plan through no fault of your own
One Time Opt-In
Eligible members may re-enroll in a CTPF health insurance plan one time without a qualified change in status (marriage, birth, death, etc.). Individuals who want to rejoin a CTPF plan must do so during a CTPF Open Enrollment Period. A member applying to re-enroll must have proof of insurance coverage (medical and prescription drug) as of the beginning of the open enrollment period (October 1), and maintain coverage through December 31 of that year. CTPF insurance coverage becomes effective the following January 1.
Turning 65 — Medicare Birthday Party Webinar
Turning 65 means it’s time to enroll in Medicare and choose a new CTPF health insurance plan. CTPF invites members turning age 65 to attend a Medicare “Birthday Party,” now conducted via webinar. These webinars are designed to help members evaluate their health insurance options. If you’re turning 65 this year, watch your email for a personalized invitation. If you can’t attend in person, you can view a recorded version of the webinar and presentation slides below.
Medicare Birthday Party Webinar Recording (enter password: 2q^.pE=*)
Each Medicare plan offered by CTPF has specific enrollment and documentation requirements:
- UnitedHealthcare AARP Medicare Supplement Plan F with Express Scripts Medicare®: Complete both and the AARP enrollment form and return them to CTPF along with a copy of your Medicare Card. Call UnitedHealthcare at 1.800.392.7537 to request an enrollment kit for CTPF Plan #1089. Please note, only those who turned 65 before 1/2/2020 are eligible to enroll in this plan.
- UnitedHealthcare Group Medicare Advantage PPO with Express Scripts Medicare®: Complete only and return with required documentation to CTPF. Please include a copy of your Medicare card.
- Humana Group Medicare HMO:
- Complete both and the Humana enrollment form, which are available from CTPF Member Services, 312.641.4464. Please return both forms to CTPF along with a copy of your Medicare Card.
Designating an Authorized Representative
If you want a family member to assist you with health insurance issues, you may designate an authorized representative who can discuss your health insurance options with a CTPF staff member. An authorized representative does not have power of attorney and cannot make any of your care or treatment decisions. Members who wish to have an Authorized Representative must complete , HIPAA Authorized Representative Designation.
Accessing Your Health Plan Information
To register for access to your health and drug plan information, visit your specific carrier’s website:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield plans
- UnitedHealthcare PPO plan (non-Medicare plan only)
- UnitedHealthcare AARP Plan F
- UnitedHealthcare Group Medicare Advantage PPO plan
- Humana Medicare Advantage HMO plan
- Express Scripts Part D pharmacy benefit
Additionally, the following carriers also offer mobile apps that allow you to easily access your health and drug plan information while on the go:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and HMO non-Medicare plans
- UnitedHealthcare PPO plan
- Express Scripts Part D pharmacy
For complete health insurance information, including current plan rates, premium subsidy eligibility, couple coverage, becoming eligible for Medicare, COBRA, ending coverage, and more, please download the . You may also contact Member Services, 312.641.4464, with questions or to set up an appointment to meet with a representative.