The Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund (CTPF) Board of Trustees has released its 2021 Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) which includes the Fund’s audited financial statements, management’s analysis, statistics, and other financial information. The ACFR is prepared by staff, reviewed by CTPF’s independent auditor, and includes detailed investment, actuarial, and statistical information about CTPF’s financial condition and operations for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2021.
Fiscal Year 2021 Highlights
Highlights from the 2021 report include:
- CTPF paid $1.5 billion in service retirement, disability, refunds, and survivor benefits, and an additional $50.7 million for health care benefits.
- CTPF received total contributions of $1.1 billion from tax levy, employee contributions, the employer, and other sources, and realized $2.9 billion in net investment income.
- The funded ratio for pension benefits, based on the actuarial value of assets, increased to 47.5% as of June 30, 2021, from 46.7% at the end of the previous fiscal year.
- The Fund returned 29.2% (time-weighted return) in Fiscal Year 2021
- The increase in value across investment classes in previous years brought the Fund’s compounded rate of return over the past 10 years to 9.5%, which is greater than the actuarial assumption of 6.75%.