Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund: while interim Board Trustee filling the vacancy of Dr. Walter Pilditch March 2018 until October 2018, I introduced the motion to allow our members to re-enroll in a CTPF health insurance plan one time without a qualified change in status. Previously, enrollment was only allowed once in a lifetime, unless a member experienced a qualifying event (marriage, birth, divorce, etc.). Also, I was a participant in the vote to have managers divest as much as possible from those involved in prison exploitation.
I have been a CTU Springfield Activist along with other stake holders to help restore the Pension Tax Levy that was taken away in1995. It is finally restored. I was instrumental in hiring Emerging Managers while an Active Teacher Trustee from 2005 until 2010.
I participated in the CTPF Ambassador Program for members under Jackie Umbles. She was a Communication Specialist for CTPF. We learned how to talk to Legislators regarding the COLA Retirees receive and the impact of Retiree spending on the general state budget.
Active Teacher Trustee from 2005 – 2010. CTPF Former Vice President and Financial Secretary, Committee Chair of Personnel and Finance & Audit. As Chair of the Audit Committee I successfully advocated for the hiring of an Internal Auditor. The Auditor recommended that the member’s information be encrypted because a company’s information was recently hacked.
In 2007, in order to assist in eliminating the Sudan atrocities as well as continuing to fulfill the fiduciary duties of being a Trustee. Our request to our managers was to not make new investments in companies appearing on the forbidden list and to divest where possible. The main duty of the Trustee Board is to monitor the workings of the Fund as is spelled out in the Statutes that govern the Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund.
Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund: 2018 Member of Personnel, Return to Work, and Health Insurance committees.
While a member of the Return to Work Committee, I advocated for the 120-day rule for substitutes.
I serve as a CTU Retiree Delegate. I am a Standing Committee Member for the CTU Functional Group. I Report on Pension Fund Issues at our Functional Group Meetings.
- Chicago Teachers Union: AFT/IFT Delegate to the Convention
- Chicago Teachers Union: Co-Chair of Political Action Committee 2009
- CTU: Member since 1969 and Delegate at Earle Elementary School 1980-2011
- Retired from Earle Elementary School in 2011 after 40+ years of service
- Lead Mentor Teacher while teaching at Earle Elementary School
- Court Reporter for Chicago Title & Trust prior to teaching
- Bachelor of Science in Education at Chicago State University
- Master of Science in Education at Governor’s State University
- 60+ hours of Post Graduate Education at Northeastern Illinois and other Universities
- Illinois State Board of Education: Active Teaching Certificate until 2022
- Gifted Teacher Certificate: Illinois State University – Grade A
- Gifted Teacher Member at Present
- Youth Empowerment and Self-Sufficiency Mini Society Certificate
- Illinois Institute for Entrepreneurship Education Certificate
- Caucus of Rank and File Educators (CORE)
- CPS Local School Council Community Rep and Parliamentarian for the JCA Elem. School
- AFT Black Caucus Chicago Chapter
- Life Member of Retired Teachers Association of Chicago (RTAC)
- Life Member of National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa, Inc. MU Chapter (Education Sorority)
- 2011 General Co-Chair of the Sorority Teach-A-Rama at Illinois Institute of Technology
- CPS Educator Renewal to 2022
- Member of the ASSOCIATION for GIFTED CHILDREN
- International Association of Women (Prev. NAPW): received 2013-14 Woman of the Year
- President of the Knights of Columbus Ladies Auxiliary Council #8973
- Church Lector at St. John de la Salle/also, featured in the LUMEN CORDIUM SOCIETY Catholic Magazine 2014